Nitecore SRT7GT Flashlight

First up,  I have to say that this is probably my favourite flashlight ever, so in this post I may sound a bit too enthusiastic!

I purchased my SRT7GTs (Yes, I have two of them) from Rubber Monkey in Wellington.  It currently (October 2018) retails for about NZ$180.


Considerations:

When deciding to purchase this flashlight, I had a number of considerations to mull over:


  • Availability
    • I could have save a couple of dollars ordering it online from overseas, but as it was a fairly expensive item, the saving wasn't significant enough for me to risk the torch not arriving. 
  • Brightness and runtimes:
    • Yeah, so I wanted to splash out on a big torch that said "fuck off, I'm serious about light" whenever I switched it on.  Something around 800 lumens was about right.
    • Equally, I didn't want a flashlight that would suck through the juice too quickly.
  • Multiple modes:
    • Yeah, I like my tools to be multi use, which up until fairly recently, didn't apply to flashlights, so if I was going to splash out on a decent torch, I wanted different colours and flashing lights, plus an Ultraviolet light too.
  • Power source:
    • I realised that if I was to invest in an 18650 powered torch, I would have to buy a new charger to suit, which I wasn't too keen on. The idea of USB recharging appealed to me.  My only other torch with a non-standard battery was my LED Lenser M3R, but that came with a charger, and could also use standard AAA batteries. 
  • Ease of use:
    • I have a cheapo multi LED, multi colour with laser pointer flashlight I keep near the back door at home.  It has two switches, both the same shape, on opposite sides of the body, and I can never recall the switch combinations to access the different modes, so I end up with the green LEDs on as well as the laser pointer.  It also has a compass in the tailcap which can't be seen in the dark. The selector ring on the SRT series is fantastic, and much easier to remember which way to twist to get different modes.

The contenders:

As well as the SRT7GT, I was also considering the Nitecore MH27UV, also from Rubber Monkey, which was a little cheaper. 


I had initially leaned towards the MH27UV, because of the USB charging.  I also like that it had independent red flashing and blue flashing modes, as well as the red/blue flashing mode. 


The decision:

In the end, the Selector Ring Technology and the infinitely variable brightness won me over, and I also bought a couple of USB rechargeable Nitecore 18650s to power it.  That said, I did end up ordering the MH27UV by mistake, but was able to exchange it for the SRT7GT (and pay the difference).  Customer service at Rubber Monkey is great.


The verdict:

As I said at the beginning, I love this torch.



Comments