LED Lenser P3BM Keyring flashlight

Not too long ago, LED Lenser were my goto brand for quality torches.  My first one being a P3AFS that I managed to lose at Wellington Airport going through security screening: I took off my belt, forgetting that I had it in its sheath on my belt. Bugger. I replaced that with an M3R.  When the sheath of the M3R crapped out, I discovered that it was easier to buy a P3BM, which is a similar size, than to buy a new sheath.  


What caught my eye: 

  • Price
  • Accessories
    • It included a sheath (which was what I was really after), AAA Duracell battery, lanyard, clip and keyring, so pretty good value all around.
  • Focusable
    • I liked the on the P3AFS, and it's something I miss on some of the more expensive torches I have.
  • AAA battery
    • Cheap, easy to get and lasts for AGES

The verdict:

Click on, click off.
Click on, click off.
Click on, click off
If you're after something super bright, then this is not the torch for you.  Then again, LED Lenser flashlights are not super bright, compared to the Nitecores and Klarus' of the flashlight world.  16 lumens is great for finding the keyhole or searching for the tin of tomatoes in the back of the kitchen cupboard, and a bit brighter than the classic 2AA Mini-Maglites, in a much smaller package.

Battery life is superb, which is no surprise, given it has a relatively low output. I still think I'm using the original battery, almost two years later. 

The lanyard broke after a bit of use, no big deal really, and it happened to my other LED Lenser flashlights too.

The clip is great. It does its job well, and stops the torch from rolling off the table. I have no idea what I did with the keyring, it was probably pretty bog standard anyway.

The overall build quality is where LED Lenser torches stand out.  No scratches to the casing, after a few years of use.
Using polymorph plastic to stop the torch
from being accidentally switched on.

It's a simple to torch, with a simple tailcap switch, but the design means it can't do a tailstand. I've also had problems with it switching on whilst inside the sheath, which I've had to solve with a bit of Do-It-Yourself with polymorph plastic. Maybe I need to flatten it out a bit so the torch can do a tailstand.

I do love being able to change from flood to spot, and the lens design is something I'm surprised other manufacturers aren't trying to emulate more.

The sheath is holding up well. So I'm happy.

Comments